Sunday, July 31, 2011

Misunderstood!! The Problems of an INVISIBLE Disorder!!!

If it wasn't for commitments that my spouse and I have already set in stone at church I don't think I would go back today. The events of this last week have totally taken the blinders off. This last week we had the opportunity to help in a fundraiser for a friend. This meant a big time commitment. OLA did so well. I was so proud of him. Seven hours on Friday and seven more on Saturday. It meant lots of people, lots of noise, hours in the heat, and a disrupted meal (and other things) schedule. But he held it all together until the last 90mins. on Saturday. It was the adults inter-acting with him that had far greater issues in dealing with him. As I watched the finale scenes play out I wondered who had the greater issues, my little guy or the adult involved. I think it was the adult involved - one who could not be bothered to learn anything about the FASD Spectrum. I think their melt down was far worse than anything my little guy did in those last 90mins. As I watch various adults interact with OLA I'm seeing that for them it is very easy to "talk the talk" but far harder to "walk the walk".  And yet they expect my little guy to do it all the time - when they can't even do it.  This last event coupled with earlier experiences this week have left me little desire to attend church. I have not ever felt quite like this - it is far beyond just the lazy "oh do I really have to get up early today." It goes much deeper than that. Maybe this is one wave I'll let drown me - I no longer have the urge to swim against it. But OLA is awesome - he did so well and I am SO PROUD of him! Kudos to him!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment