Friday, July 29, 2011

You Think You Know!!!

Sometimes you think you really know people- and then you find out you don't!!! This last week I found out that there are people in the congregation at church who have very different feelings about OLA and about our family than they present on the outside. We have always felt like the congregation was accepting of Us -but apparently not everybody feels that way (this should not surprise me - but it did sadden me and make me a little angry - especially from those who profess to be christian). First came the news that there are people at church who feel that we should never have adopted OLA because we (his parents) are Caucasian and he is African-American. Since when should skin color determine whether a person should have the love of a family?  Then came the real crux - some of those people feel that OLA's issues stem from being African-American. I've never understood how you could think someone's issues are physically caused by their skin color. Alcohol is no respecter of persons. It affects you regardless of race, culture, gender, income, social standing. It just does not matter whether you are rich or poor, male or female, American or Brazilian, Black or White - (or green with pink polka dots for that matter). If a woman drinks when she is pregnant - then her baby can have permanent disabilities caused by that alcohol  consumption. OLA is a blessing to us and we learn much from his and our struggles. We are strengthened in our trials. And yes he can be very difficult at times - but I would not trade him for any other child. He is a valued member of our family and I wouldn't pictures "Us" without him as part of our family.  And I thought I knew people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment